Proto Labs Ltd. April 2016 – Present
Proto Labs Ltd. September 2015 – April 2016
Associate Software Developer
Proto labs Ltd. January 2014 – September 2015
Software Support Analyst (DevOps)
Proto labs Ltd. December 2011 – December 2013
Press Computer Systems Ltd (PCS). August 2008 – December 2011
Originally starting as an IT Apprentice spending time on various product development and IT teams, I quickly achieved a full time position as an IT Technician working in the Managed Services division. This full time post entailed providing technical support for the IT infrastructure of the Express and Star, the UK’s biggest regional newspaper, as well other MNA Group titles including the Shropshire Star.
- Helpdesk Support – Managing support requests and liaising with product teams where required.
- Desktop Administration – Both build and maintenance of hardware and software. Windows 2000 – Windows 7 and Mac OS (OS 9 & OS X). +Network Administration
- Server Administration – Build and maintenance of both virtual and physical servers including Unix, Linux and Windows.
- Backups – Creation, maintenance and archiving including Symantec Backup Exec and Rsync.
- Database Administration – Backups, restores and replication.
- Working as part of a team implementing a new editorial, media management and publishing system for the MNA group of titles. My role on this project was to provide application and server support including user training.
- Working on a solo project, I designed, coded and implemented a bespoke updating solution to help deploy custom software updates to a IT estate of 400+ workstations. I utilised open source technologies such as MySQL, Apache and PHP. I also wrote a Windows client in VB.NET as well as an administrative WUI in Adobe ActionScript.
- Settings up a continuous integration tool (Hudson / Jenkins) to automate building of software projects. This was also extended to create an automated process of deploying new builds to a remote QA environment for testing.
- Set up and managing of a PXE disk imaging tool (Acronis), to ease the build of new workstations and improving department efficiency by reducing build time per machine and consistency between workstations . This included the creation and verification of disk images.
- Implemented helpdesk ticketing system (Kayako) across all product and IT teams to help with better organisation and issue management.
Also provided IT and technical cover to MNA Broadcasting (Regional Radio Stations) on a Ad-hoc basis as required including supporting their ‘Enco’ playout (broadcasting) systems.